IHSAA Commissioner Bobby Cox made the following announcement this afternoon in light of Governor Holcomb’s school closing until May 1st:
Good afternoon. With today’s announcement from Governor Holcomb closing all Indiana schools until at least May 1, 2020, we are announcing the following adjustments to the spring athetic seasons.
Currently, we still intend to stage an abreviated spring sports program. The provisions to follow are contingent upon a return to school including approved gatherings of multiple students by May 1, 2020. From this point forward until May 1, 2020, all IHSAA spring sports (Track & Field, Unified Track & Field, Softball, Baseball, Boys Golf and Girls Tennis) are now to revert to IHSAA By-Law 15-2, During School Year Out-of-Season. This allows parents and students to make an independent determination to seek activity that is non-school sponsored while schools are out of session. This is NOT an invitation to begin a limited contact period or conditioning which is school sponsored and against the directive of our Governor. If we are able to resume on May 1, 2020, the number of separate days of practice necessary to participate in any interscholastic event, including contests shall be set at five (5).
We trust these accommodations allow our students the ability to maintain a certain level of fitness during this time of school closure and hopefully return to competition yet this spring. We appreciate and thank you for your support and understanding during these unprecedented times.
This announcement does not affect or change the following Bremen moratorium guidelines which have now been extended to May 1st:
- All practices and contests are canceled during this period and will not resume until MAY 1 at the earliest.
- All school athletic facilities, both indoor and outdoor, will be closed to any and all activity during the moratorium.
- All face-to-face contact with coaches (paid or volunteer) is prohibited.
- Coaches WILL NOT organize or encourage practices and other team gatherings outside of the school including limited contact or conditioning sessions.
- Coaches MAY provide recommended workouts through their communication channels. However, these workouts will not require student-athletes to leave their homes or premises.
If you have any questions about the latest IHSAA annoucement or how it applies to your situation, please feel free to contact the Bremen Athletic Office at email@example.com. Be safe and healthy.